Friday, April 12, 2019

Sniffing Glue

That's something I'd rather not do.  So, in my "office" (a spare bedroom) I have an access panel installed in the window.


One of my other hobbies is shortwave radio (including ham (amateur) radio.) The original purpose of the panel is to provide a number of antenna and cable connections between the (comfortable) inside and the (constantly changing) outside world.  It's a commercial product available at most ham stores.  After trimming it to fit my window, I stared at the blank end for a long time. 

It finally dawned on me (I can be a bit dense - no comments, please) that perhaps a pass-through for a vent could be added.  I cut a hole for a piece of 2" PVC pipe, and glued it in place.  A 45º elbow was added inside and outside.  The inside faces up, while the outside faces down to not catch rain. (Another 2" is forecast for tomorrow. Good - the moss in my grass was about to wilt. 😐)

The outside port is equipped with a stainless PVC screen to keep out bugs and insects.  I found it online - where else?


On the inside, I keep a cap pushed on to close the air flow when not wanted.  Then, I went spelunking in the depths of the barn for a muffin fan.  I found a couple 4" 110VAC fans.  So, a 4" to 2" PVC reducer was obtained.  A thin piece of plywood was cut to about 5" sq. and a 4"hole cut in the middle. This is attached to the reducer with small 90º angle brackets and #6 hardware.


Before it's finished, I will caulk around the joint to seal the air flow.

Finally, the fan will be mounted on the plywood adapter. Once I make another trip to a hardware store in the next few days, that is.


To use, I'll pull the cap off and push the fan assembly onto the interior end if the pipe through the window.  A bit of foam-core board will make a small fume hood.

I won't try painting with this, I just want to pull the glue fumes outside.  Since most of the items are small (N scale buildings, etc.) I don't think a big, space hog of a hood is desirable.  I do plan a test using match or candle smoke to see if it draws as well as I hope.  I'm just wanting it to be enough to control the fumes.

With all the tasks and Dr. visits, that's about all there is for this week.  I hope the rain holds off long enough for me to apply the "weed-n-feed" in the morning.  We'll have to see how that develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment