Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Golden Spike! (or Golden Screw?)

Last Saturdaay, 2019/07/27, my local (even if I'm 40 miles away) had a "Build-a-Thon."  between 18 and 24 people participated in the come-and-go event.

With various people pitching in on various tasks, over two dozen modules were framed, painted, and in some cases, tracked with power leads.  I had committed to one T-junction module.  I had the track laid aside for it, no problem.

As it turned out, some of the off-cut pieces were used to make several unclaimed single TTrak modules.  I claimed one of those, as well.  After getting home, a dive into the barn revealed that I do have the track pieces for the single module. Yea! No track to buy!

No pictures of these just yet, I mean, after all, one Owl Brown box looks much like another, eh?  Next week, it should be applied, and pictures taken then.  Don't expect any surprises, track-wise, just simple one with, perhaps, a (very) short siding on the single.

Now, on to the new Trans-Tropics modules I've been planning. I have the track down on three new modules.







It's been hot in the garage, so only mornings or early evenings are tolerable.  However, these three (of the four) have the track mounted.  All have screws except for the small inner loop in the last picture.  I'm thinking that it will remain loose for easy module joining.  The joints in the Tomix track don't line up with the Kato (default of the TTrak-N world) I elected to go with this compromise.  It shouldn't be an issue with scenery.

Wiring drops for track power, as well as control leads for selected turnouts, are in place.  Tomorrow or Friday, I hope to be mounting barrier strips for track power interfacing.  I really need to do something like this, since Tomix and Kato use so totally different connectors.

Maybe, over the weekend, I can run trains at home for the first time in a long time!

The last of these four modules will probably get its track in the morning, or the next day, family tasks permitting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment