Friday, August 2, 2019

A bit more progress. I guess.

I've made a little more progress on several fronts, I guess.  I just can't seem to pick one and "just do it."

I have the track laid out for the two modules that followed me home from the Build-A-Thon, a junction (which I had ordered) and a single (an orphan I adopted.)




With the junction, nothing fancy at all on the track-work,  Right now, I'm leaning towards simple, rural scenes.  It'll have to play out to see just what will actually be there. Yep, I've got a piece of track to cut to fit, but that's an easy-peasy thing to do.



I am going to have a simple siding on the single module, using a Kato #4 and 186mm straight track.  Nothing fancy here. I'm thinking of building a dirt mound on the end of the siding, since there's not enough room for a bumper.  I have done that before, and I like how it can look.  It may even have an inset pocket to clear the coupler.  

Years ago I did a module like this (now long gone, R.I.P.) and liked it.  So, now's a good time to do another.  As to what's on the siding, I don't know just yet.  I'm waiting for the module "to tell me what it wants to be."  I could say the same about the junction as well, but it is "whispering" a bit louder to me. Kinda.

About that orphan thing.  As the guys were cutting out the pieces of MDF for the various ordered modules (about two dozen, I think) there were scrap sections remaining that generated several unordered single modules - orphans, as it were.  This one just seemed to jump into my hand, so I brought it home like a lovable, lost puppy.

Last for today, there's the fourth module of the Trans-Tropics Rwy.  This is the connector for running the two loop modules end-to-end, rather than the 180º configuration in the previous post.





Like the other two modules, the track isn't fastened down just yet.  For one thing, the temperature and humidity are very high today, and the garage is just too miserable to do any work.  Also, there's a bit of indecision on the connector.  I want a grade crossing across the twin main lines, but I do NOT like the new style KATO track pieces.  The old style more fits what I like, so I'm going to have to go another way.  One of the Blair Line Wood Grade Crossings may just fit the bill. And look better, too.  I must go box-diving to see it I may have one, somewhere.


Y'know, the Blair Line 077 Wooden Truck Dump Kit may be what the single is wanting. Hmmm . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment