Thursday, January 22, 2009

Plano Show Return and Cleaning the Shop

The trip to the Plano Train Show was long, tiring, and well worth it. I had a great time, got to put names and faces together, and buy some "goodies." Cindy and I drove half way home and spent the night in Abilene. The last 200 miles on Monday morning was easy, and we arrived about lunch time.

Today (Thursday) was, finally, a warm day. I got to work on cleaning the shop. After all the "carnage" that has happened in there the past few months getting ready for various things, it almost need sanitizing!

Anyway, I made a good start at it. In the process, some useful pieces of plywood were uncovered. There are eight pieces of plywood, eight feet long by 11-1/2" wide. Four are 1/2" and four are 3/4" thick. By ripping these into 3-1/2" wide strips, I should have the basic frame pieces for the start of a HOGRR-based home layout. I'm working on the detail drawings for fitting it into the available space.

If you're not familiar with the HOGRR (Heart Of Georgia RR) concept, it is a design that cuts a 4x8 plywood and rearranges it into an 8'x9' (approx.) layout. By making the benchwork 12" wide, it is the same square footage as the 4x8, but is more open. Look up the Yahoo group sometime for more details.

Anyway, there's a LOT more cleaning to do, but I'm beginning to see a small glimmer ahead. I just hope it's not the light of an oncoming train ;-) .

No comments:

Post a Comment