Saturday, September 12, 2009

In process projects . . .

Several years ago, I accumulated a box of 8 1/2" x 11" cardboard sheets. I use them, with masking tape, to hold small items for painting. Sometimes, large items, too.

Lately, I've been able to make myself be a bit slower about cutting parts off the molding sprues. By seeing that there are several parts on a sprue that will be the same color, I can mount the sprue vertically and spray both sides, if needed. Much faster.

So, with it being a bit cool and quite a bit humid, I'm not painting, but I am
prepping for a painting binge. I have 21 (yes, 21!) cardboard sheets with parts
from three kits ready to go. These are multiple structures per kit, so there are
a total of 11 structures involved. Or 12, depending on how you want to count.

Two of them will be bashed into a single item, so I count it as 11.

For some silly reason, I generally don't like the 'out-of-the-box' color. Even if
molded in gray, and I want gray, I have to paint it just to change it a bit. Call
it what you will, I still do it.

And, quite often lately, strip and repaint. Hopefully, not so much in the future.
That really slows down progress.

I have one of my new N corners nearly showable. A few details should arrive
this week, such as decorative fencing. The rest of these structures are for the
other three corners in the set. There are a few pre-assembled structures. They
look okay to me, so I won't be trying to do anything major to them.

To be presentable for shows, I'll need a pair of straights, too. One in about 3/4
done, I think. Another is still bare, but for track. So far, it hasn't "revealed itself" to me so I can landscape and scenic it. If it doesn't hurry, I may force a sewage treatment plant on it.

There is plenty to do, and finally it seems that things are beginning to flow. I'm
having more fun now than back in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment